Lisa and Elsa, N Oakley Ave & W Palmer St, Chicago, IL




Lisa and family ride a Babboe City bakfietsen, grey, imported from Netherlands via J.C. Lind Bike Co.

I spotted Lisa's cargo bike from far off, and as I got closer, my head nearly exploded from cuteness overload!  Seriously, check out her infant daughter comfortably ensconced in the cab of the bike (below).  She was picking up her older daughter from a playdate at Holstein pool.  How's that for an alternative to the family station wagon.  I rode in THIS all through Middle School, and even drove it in High School.  Yup, I was really cool.  I think a bike would have been way cooler.


What are you wearing? Gap dress (also worn during pregnancy), Birkenstocks
Where are you going? Swimming with my daughters and friends
Why ride? Health: mine, family's, the planet's.
Favorite ride? I always enjoyed snaking from UIC back to Logan Square via Fulton and the other west side industrial streets late at night when there were no trucks or anyone else...But I also enjoy nature-y rides like the I&M Canal tow path.
While riding you …?  Mostly focus on staying alive, but sometimes sing songs, make plans, notice little things, feel the weather, talk with my older daughter about heavy or hilarious things.
How can Chicago improve bike infrastructure or make Chicago more bike friendly? I think that separated bike lanes are nice (and would catch us up with several more bikeable European cities), but I'm a fan of less infrastructure and more restriction. I think we can do better with a network of bicycle priority or even completely car-free streets through the neighborhoods sometimes known as "bike boulevards." Another thing I fantasized about when I bike-commuted to the Loop every day is a $5 per private car tax to drive into the Loop during week day business hours. It could be earmarked for transit or bike funding, and would make downtown a lot more bike and pedestrian friendly.

automotive ,automotive news ,automotive magazine,automotive industry outlook 2012,automotif,automotive magazine automotive ,automotive news ,automotive magazine,automotive industry outlook 2012,automotif,automotive magazine