This Just In: Headed Abroad!

Further to yesterday's post concerning "dooring" in Melbourne, Australia, a commenter named Dee points out that ABC News have since published the following on their "Corrections & Clarifications" page:

Dooring cyclists


News Breakfast:  On May 7, the program interviewed Garry Brennan from Bicycle Network Victoria about a campaign to increase fines for motorists who open their car doors into the path of cyclists.  After the interview we suggested that cyclists should share some of the blame for ‘dooring’ incidents. The law states that this is incorrect. In every ‘dooring’ incident it is the fault of the person opening the door for not exercising due care.


I'd also like to see ABC "even the ledger up a tiny, weensy bit" by forcing the  offending hosts to ride Segways and then subjecting them to an on-camera dooring:


(Host indicating the "tiny, weensy" nature of his "ledger.")

But I suppose this retraction is the best we're going to get.

Anyway, as you read this, I am en route to London, England.  (Unless you're reading this later, in which case I'm probably already there, or unless you're reading this on March 22nd, 2017, in which case I'm knocking back olive oil martinis at Mario Cipollini's 50th birthday bash, or unless you're somehow reading this on April 12th, 1861, in which case you've got bigger things to worry about than bikes since the Civil War has just broken out, plus the safety bicycle hasn't even been invented yet anyway.)

The main reason for my visit to London is that I'll be fumbling with a BRA at Look Mum No Hands! (exclamation point theirs!, though that last one was mine!) on Thursday, May 10th at 5:30pm:


Also, if you're wondering about the origins of the shop's name, "Look Mum no hands!" is actually an old English expression that, roughly translated, means, "Look Mom, no hands!"

At some point during my time in England I'll also be visiting the Brooks factory, where Eric "The Chamferer" Murray has promised to make something called "minced meat" out of me.

Sounds delicious.

Then, from there I'll be headed to Italy for the Full Bike Day festival in Brindisi, where I'll be speaking on Sunday, May 13th:

And if you're wondering why a bike festival in Italy would want me, you may be surprised to learn that my first book was actually published in Italian:
Not only is it a small world, but apparently also a world with universally bad taste in literature.

In any event, it's possible and indeed likely that my international travels may affect my posting schedule, but I assure you I'll keep you apprised of any interruptions.  I'll also remind you that my Italian adventure marks more or less the end of my book-related travels for the time being, and I thank you for your indulgence during this necessary period of self-whorage.  Rest assured, starting next week I will once again assume my customary position, which is to say I'll be chained to a computer blogging away as my helper monkey, Vito, alternately de-louses me and slaps me upside the head whilst screeching with simian mirth over the latest episode of "Girls."

I'd also like to thank the commenters who have already offered me advice for my trip to London.  For example, people have told me to watch out for the black cabs:


Which is kind of cute, because where I'm from we have these things:


There's nothing unusual about the image above, by the way.  Now, I'm sure London taxis can be quite dangerous, and I assure you I will exercise due discretion, but telling a visiting New Yorker to watch out for the local cabs is like passing Keith Richards a joint and then telling him to be careful because it's "pretty strong stuff." 

Of course, black cabs aren't the only ones in London, and so someone else chimed in and said that the minicabs are even worse:


Which is kind of cute, because where I'm from we have these things:


There's also nothing unusual about a car service crashing into your house, as you can see from the accompanying article:

Campbell said this is the second time a car has slammed into his home.

The first time, the car went straight through the home into an adjoining apartment.

Though the happy ending in all of this is that the homeowner learned an important lesson:

“This is the second time it’s happened, so maybe I should move to the middle of the block,” Campbell said.

I mean, come on, the corner lot is suicide in New York, everybody knows that.

Speaking of books (I was awhile back anyway), Rivendell Bicycle Works proprietor and noted quill stem enthusiast Grant Peterson has just published one:


This book is the antithesis of all that is Fredly, and I recommend it highly.  You can obtain a copy here, or wherever fine books are sold.  I should also stress that my enthusiasm for this book is completely sincere and totally unsolicited, and I'm not just pretending to like it because Grant Petersen is blackmailing me by threatening to publish pictures of me riding a recumbent bicycle.  Indeed, he's already done that, and I'm still recommending it:



Sure, it may be too late for me to salvage what was left of my dignity at this point, but at least I managed to turn the camera back on him in the process:


This was actually my first time riding a recumbent bicycle, and I have to admit I now understand the appeal.  It's pretty much exactly like riding a regular bicycle, except it's vastly more cumbersome, with the added benefit that and you look and feel ridiculous.  Think of it as a horizontal tall bike and you get the idea.

On the plus side, the low position a recumbent affords you may also allow you to "limbo" beneath an open SUV door.
automotive ,automotive news ,automotive magazine,automotive industry outlook 2012,automotif,automotive magazine automotive ,automotive news ,automotive magazine,automotive industry outlook 2012,automotif,automotive magazine